I had posted this at Sensi Life awhile back (January 2013) and before that we made www.hempdome.com in 2010 (still rebuilding it).
Seeing that this is good information and that I spent a lot of time on this. I wanted to get this information out to people, because building a dome home is very easy. Times are tough. If you need shelter, or a workshop, or a place to grow ganja or a garden check this tutorial out.
My wife and I made a 16 ft dome in our garage with a few tools and a bunch of emt steel conduit.
Our goal> To make a temporary shelter while we build a bigger more family friendly dome. To be a workshop, kitchen, bedroom, living area, and storage.
The inspiration came from when I was 13 – 16 and I would read Kung Fu and Solider of Fortune magazines, and in the back of the mags there were offers for geodesic dome kits. I always knew I could build one myself and have intended to and planned it out for about 20 years.
After reading some Buckmister (Bucky) Fuller materials and some plans online, I came up with my own plans.
I used www.desertdomes.com extensively, as well as other random blogs.
(more on Bucky Fuller here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic_dome )
I have a booklet that I made, I will scan in my rough sketches and upload them here in the future.
I found it to be very time consuming using basic hand tools, and semi-time consuming even with proper shop tools.
You can see the process that I used in this video with the shop tools that I bought mostly at Harbor Freight. I don’t have many examples of using just basic hand tools, except for a few still pictures that I will include in this post (check back later)
The basic tools you will need is.
hacksaw with a metal cutting blade
drill with a 9/16th metal drill bit
To save time and get more precise measurements and cuts you may want
12 ton (or better) shop press
A series of clamps, preferably pipe clamps and vise grips.
You can see the completed project at this link here: https://sensilife.com/dome/index.html
Im working on the next phase up, to the full scale model. I am working with architectural software and I will eventually present my plans to an architect to get my plans revised and approved.
With the pace I am working right now, with so many distractions. I expect the work will be completed no sooner than 2014.
Its not that it is a huge amount of work, I just continue to find myself busy and distracted from these projects.
I will document my progress during that build too. I will also include my plans when I am finished with them.
Geodesic Conduit Dome Jig
Jig for fabricating conduit for struts
- Dome Sites
- Step-by-step Photobook of a 2v Dome
- The Nebraska Dome – 2v dome fabrication and setup.
- How to make a 2V newspaper dome
- Design and Implementation for a Geodesic Dome
- Earl’s 2v Dome
- 24′ 3v Dome – Includes pictures and step-by-step instructions
- Earl’s Recharge Dome
- Cardboard Domes
- Cardboard Domes – This site shows you everything you need to know about making cardboard domes for Burning Man
- More Cardboard Domes – Step-by-step instructions
- Concrete Domes
- Dome of a Home – A concrete dome in Florida
- Domes made out of alternative materials
- Beezer’s PlayDome Page – Tire Domes
- General Dome Sites
- Howard Cohen’s Dome Deck Plans – Step by step instructions!
- Jeff Deifik’s Dome Plans – Step by step instructions to build 16ft and 24ft domes!
- David Anderson’s Monkey House Geodesics – David’s site is back up, and moved to a new location!
- Mathworld’s Geodesic Page
- Earl’s Geodesic Domes – Has some really useful information on modifying dome geometry to allow for doors
- Applied Synergetics Home Page
- Hexayurts – Made with cardboard, and perfect for Burning Man!
- Detail Plans for a Geodesic Dome Observatory
- Geodesic Structures by Steve Miller – This site also includes plydomes
- Geodesic Domes at Kibbutz Lotan
- Links to geodesic and alternative building
- Big thanks to http://desertdomes.com
- For hemp canvases, hemp herd and other hemp products see the following links:
Tags: basic tools, bucky fuller, cutting blade, dome home, drill bit, fortune magazines, ganja, geodesic dome kits, hacksaw, hand tools, harbor freight, hemp dome, measuring tape, precise measurements, rough sketches, shop tools, solider of fortune, steel conduit, temporary shelter, ustream tv, wikipedia